Disaster Management is the organization and management of resources and responsibilities for dealing with all humanitarian aspects of emergencies, in particular preparedness, response and recovery, in order to lessen the impact of disasters.
The program provides comprehensive disaster management knowledge and skills to enhance the capabilities of executive managers who have key disaster management responsibilities. It is designed to enable professionals working in disaster management, development and donor agencies to effectively integrate disaster management into their development programs and policies. Participants will be encouraged to develop key skills and adopt proactive attitudes through participation in interactive lectures and reflection on a range of key issues raised during discussions and practical activities.
Upon completion of this program, the participants will be able to
- Explain the characteristics and impacts of disasters and complex emergencies
- Analyze how vulnerabilities and capacities affect the resilience of communities to disasters
- Describe the different phases of disaster management and the key activities for each phase
- Explain the links between disaster management and disaster risk reduction
- Identify the international legal instruments, humanitarian principles, codes and standards which guide disaster management.
- Describe and apply disaster management tools
- Identify the roles and responsibilities of different actors in disaster management and analyze how they can work together in a coordinated manner
- Prepare a disaster management contingency plan
The training methodology used is designed to encourage maximum participation by all delegates. The presenter will suggest ideas and theories to the delegates and then encourage them to test out the ideas by the use of discussion, small group work, exercises and feedback. Each day of the seminar will end by delegates completing their own record of what has been learned on the day and considering how the ideas might be transferred back to the workplace.
Program Dates: 26-30 November 2018
Registration Closes on: 31 October 2018
Program Fee: $2650
Online Payment via PayPal